WHO WE ARE
|Taken care of by the next generation
The Cullinan Diamond Mine* located in the town of Cullinan, South Africa was
discovered by Sir Thomas Major Cullinan in 1902 and initially named the
Premier Mine. The kimberlite pipe, at 34 Hectares, was larger than all the other
Kimberley pipes discovered at that time put together. In the year 2002, the
centenary year of the discovery of the Premier Mine by Sir Thomas Cullinan,
the mine was renamed the Cullinan Mine.
The town of Cullinan was founded by Sir Thomas Cullinan to support the
activities of the Premier Mine and many of the buildings, including the church
and school, were built by Sir Thomas Cullinan.
The magnificent Cullinan Diamond, discovered in 1905, was presented to King
Edward VII by the Transvaal Government in 1908 and was named in honour of
Sir Thomas Cullinan. He was subsequently awarded a Knighthood in 1910 by
King Edward VII of England and Great Britain.
*Disclaimer : Mark Cullinan, Cullinan Anstalt, and Cullinan Diamonds™
are not affiliated with the Cullinan
Diamond Mine in Cullinan, South Africa and its current owners or operators.
If diamonds offered for sale by Cullinan Diamonds are sourced from the Cullinan Diamond Mine
or from Cullinan, South Africa, this will be specified.